Abortion – The Left’s And Right’s Position, Why It Matters
Abortion, this is one subject that seems to pit the Democrats against the GOP the worst, puts husbands against wives, women against men, and has been fought for and against since Roe v. Wade became the law of the land in 1973.
The Left’s Argument:
Prior to the 1973 the number one killer of young women under the age of 40 was due to botched abortions, or complications that came from them from having them performed in back street alleys. The left found this a great advancement for women, but how it was used back then, and how it is used today has been drastically changed.
Back in 1962, there were .07 abortions for every 1,000 live births; today, there are 181 abortions to every 1,000 abortions. The abortion ratio to live births peaked in the 1980s, in 1983, there were 432.8 abortions to every 1,000 live
The left sees this as a great victory, at this point they are pushing in liberal controlled states to push back against laws that restrict abortions after the first trimester, something the left sees as a great victory; but is it?
Many within the GOP would love to see Roe v Wade overturned, but not all. Most would like to see the lifting of restrictions by the left with late-term abortions made illegal. Not only do most conservatives support this, turns out so do the majority of Americans. According to the Huffington Post, NBC News, and others, this is the majority stance of America.
Where many feel there is a issue is that the federal government, i.e. the courts should not have decided this question, this should have stayed in the state realm, yet what we have seen is judicial overreach in this and many aspects of American lives.
Sixty-four percent of providers offer at least some second-trimester abortion services (13 weeks or later), and 20% offer abortion after 20 weeks. Eleven percent of all abortion providers offered abortions past 24 weeks (AGI). Only 5% of U.S. abortions occur in hospitals; 2% occur in physician’s offices.
Note: data is scaled relative to 1980 (1980 value=100). Plotted data includes:
- abortions–known or estimated legal abortions occurring in the U.S.
- ratio–abortions per 1000 live births
- percentage–abortions as percentage of total pregnancies (live births+abortions)
- rate per 1000 women aged 15-44
- rate per 1000 population
Sadly since 1964 we have seen a meteoric rise in abortion rates, and although they have fallen over the years, the left is now trying to expand the numbers again.
The way the left does is this simple:
- They strip the humanity away from the child. They say the child in a womb is not a human, so should have no human rights. What is more puzzling, they take the fetus that is aborted; in many cases, sell them for human research. If they are not human, then why are you researching human conditions with their remains? It seems another nation tried this in the 1930s and 40s; history does not look too kindly on them.
- By ignoring the rights of the fetus, the right to life, they refuse to acknowledge any rights of the unborn. Instead, they only focus on the rights of the mother.
- Treat the fetus as something with less than animal worth. We know that if you go to the beach and kill a baby turtle, or destroy an egg, you will face severe punishment, but if you kill a baby, you are called heroic. By calling the growing baby in a womb a parasite, which some do, you then treat this as nothing more than a parasitic infection that needs to be done away with.
- Control the access or rights the parents hold to their children’s well being. Many states and cities make it so as a young teen can get an abortion done without notifying the parents. I always find this somewhat hypocritical, they say they can’t give aspirin without parental permission, but they can drag your child off for a much more severe treatment, and they don’t have to notify you? As a parent, this bothers me to no end, not to mention it is taking away my right as a parent to protect my child and decide what is best for them.
- Use the education system to advance your ideology. No place has the right given up more than with education, we have allowed the whole system to be hijacked by the left, then act surprised when our kids come home totally indoctrinated in leftist thought. This equally applies to education, many students have told me in sex education, or health class they are told about abortion, but it is treated as nothing more than minor treatment, like going to the doctors to have a wart removed.
What to do?
The most important thing is to take control of the message, demand that indoctrination of our youth stop, don’t be afraid to explain your side of the story when you kids question you after being indoctrinated at school.
We need to roll back late term abortions, as a strict constitutionalist I don’t like that the federal government since the 1900’s have slowly eroded state rights, we need to start to demand that they be given back. The terrible truth is once power is gained, taking it back usually ends up in conflict, not always of a forceful nature, but a conflict of ideology and minds. We need to send this back to states, if your state does not support abortion, then you are left with two alternatives:
- Gather the support to change how the stance within your state is held or
- Move, go to a place that is more in tune with your line of reasoning. Demanding others bend to our will makes us no better then the other side who is demanding the same. Either stay where you are, accept this is the more prevalent mindset where you live, or if you can’t handle it, move.
This is not meant to be flippant, the problem I see today is one side is rapid to resort to violence when people do not give in to their view, there is a problem with this, the other side sooner or later will tire of this violence, then years of pent up anger over this is released, they respond, and the other side, not realizing they brought this on the run around thinking they are victims.
We need to be firm in our stance, not allow others to dictate to us how our morals are set, but if we are going to demand this respect, we have to be willing to give this same respect back. What no one needs to put up with is violent aggression when the other side sees you are not willing to change your core moral beliefs to meet their demands. I have told many, you have a right to disagree, you have a right to say what you please, but you lay a hand on me, I will respond in kind, no one has a right to assault another for what they believe.
As I have said before, you never silence what you feel is bad speech or thought, if you do you make the onlookers wonder what it is that you are hiding? Instead, you fight bad speech with good speech, you fight lies with the truth, you fight hatred with love, bigotry with acceptance, racism with tolerance. If you fight like this, you expose, not hide the bad thoughts or beliefs, you don’t bury it, thus making it seem more desirable to some elements, and in the
You never silence what you feel is bad speech or thought, if you do you make the onlookers wonder what it is that you are hiding? Instead, you fight bad speech with good speech, you fight lies with the truth, you fight hatred with love, bigotry with acceptance, racism with tolerance.
The truth will silence lies, good speech will drown out bad speech, love will always overcome hatred, and acceptance is the best elixir to treat racism and bigotry.
We are now watching the last of the people from what is termed “the greatest generation” die away. These people went and many sacrificed all to fight the scourge of fascism, to make this world a safer place. But what will future generations call us? The least greatest generation, we could not even find the fortitude to protect the most helpless?